The holidays are a tough time of year for everyone. It is ok to indulge as long as you are mindful of what you are doing. Here are some tips for keeping better control of your blood sugars and sweet tooth during the holidays.
1. Exercise more often to help keep blood sugars in good control, even if you do splurge.
2. Check your blood sugars frequently as a reminder of good control.
3. Keep sweets and baked goods out of the house and save them for treats at parties and gatherings. If you like to bake, show your goodwill and give your baked goods out to others.
4. Bring healthy dishes to parties - fruits, veggies, etc.
5. Plan holiday gatherings around activities instead of meals.
6. When you do decide to indulge, remember that portion size is key.
7. Eat small frequent meals to stay satiated and keep blood sugars levels stable; this will probably help to control cravings and splurges.
8. Use caution with alcohol; not only is it full of calories, but it may also cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Too much alcohol may also impair your ability to make the healthy choices.
9. Take time to relax during the holidays and enjoy yourself; don't let yourself get too stressed out.
10. Check in with your diabetes educator if you are having a hard time keeping your blood sugars in good control.