Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tips to keep junk food out of the house



Question:  I have pre-diabetes and am struggling to eat healthy.  My brother and his family live with me and there are tons of junk food temptations in my kitchen.  I want the entire household to start eating healthy with me, they can all benefit, but they are resistant.  Any suggestions?

Answer:  This is always a tough situation.  No matter what advice I give, it will probably be much easier said than done.  My advise would be to discuss the importance of keeping junk foods out of the house, both for your health and for theirs.  If your brother has young children or teenagers, you can discuss the importance of being a good role model for healthy eating habits for his kids to reduce their risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes later on.  Since it is your home, I think you have a right to decide what kind of foods are allowed to enter. 

If this does not go over so well, plan to draw a line and keep a separate area in the cabinets, freezer, and fridge for your foods.  There are lots of healthier treats out there these days that will help to satisfy the cravings for less healthy foods. For ideas, check the http://foodpicker.org/ website.  Fill your area with lots of these healthy treats - I bet you anything they will start raiding your cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment