Saturday, April 9, 2011

Eating out

Question:  On my lunch breaks I go to a sandwich shop.  I usually get a large deluxe sandwich with a side of potato salad or coleslaw.  Now that I have diabetes, I'm trying to modify my lunch order.  Can you make some suggestions of what to order?

Many of the whole sandwiches at sandwich shops these days are 800-1,000 calories by themselves.  The best bet is to order a smaller size sandwich or eat 1/2 of the large deluxe sandwich.  If the portion of potato salad or coleslaw is small it's probably ok to have with the smaller sandwich.  Healthier alternatives might be to have a small side of fruit or a side salad with lowfat dressing.

Try not to eat out too often as healthy choices are often limited and it's easy to overeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment